Sunday, August 9, 2009

Yearbooks and NOT taking photos

During our sessions at the Cronkite School we talked a lot about how to do things properly. Today I was browsing for ideas to supplement my instruction for my yearbook classes and I came across an article about teaching students when not to make photographs.

Written by Bill Hankins, he cautions against using the clichés such as the secretary talking on the phone or the principal behind her desk. Other things to watch out for are Lazy photos - where the photographer did not try to be original and Over-Used people. Don't be putting the same handful of students in the book over and over again while others are left out.

I'd like to put on my preaching hat (just for a few sentences) and ask that we all remind students that the yearbook is the story of the whole school - not just a select few popular people. Schools are very diverse places, and the annual should be as well. When going through the images and the pages keep asking yourself "who is not in here?" and "How many times have we already seen the 1st string quarterback in the book?"

Miyamura High School
Gallup, New Mexico

3 comments:

  1. Good reminder as the new school year begins, Jeff.

    Also, I don't remember who suggested this, but in the first few days have students create a list of their friends, who then are not to be used as stources by the student.

    Mark Webber
    Laredo, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walsworth is the yearbook printer I use. I frequently use their materials to supplement my yearbook instruction and have found their resources to bery helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a rule that my tv kids cannot interview their fellow classmates. It looks too insular, too "I'm in the in group, too lazy. Thanks for this, Jeff.

    Hope you guys are all doing well.

    Joanna Greer

    ReplyDelete