Friday, July 17, 2009

Cronkite and ASU

I'm sure word of Walter Cronkite's passing has extra significance because of your time at the school bearing his name. In addition to the media coverage, you'll find quite a bit of information in a special report on the school's Web site, including the story of how we became the Cronkite School.

The photo above shows Mr. Cronkite with Cronkite Village, a group of top students living as a unit in an ASU residence hall.

Photo Credit: Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication, Arizona State University

Steve Elliott
Arizona State University
Phoenix

2 comments:

  1. Cool! How fortunate for you all and also us) to have this connection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I met Mr. Cronkite once. I was working at the Kennedy Center Honors Show and he and his wife were at the ball. I told them that I had been an intern on the PM Magazine show in DC and his daughter had been with us for a week or so anchoring or reporting, I can't remember. He was so pleased to talk about his daughter and so interested in me and my friends. Such a genuinely nice man. His wife was as nice as he was. I saw him interviewed on a Larry King show over the weekend and he said he wouldn't be hired today as an anchor because he didn't have the looks. I remember hearing some kind of phrase about all the pretty people taking over journalism. We lose a lot when we don't have Walter Cronkite types around who had a solid background in print. Still, what a nice man.

    Joanna Greer
    John F. Kennedy High School
    Silver Spring, Md

    ReplyDelete