Monday, July 13, 2009

Reynolds helps with more than just journalism




Today, I started an AP Institute for AP Language and Composition. We watched this video to discuss the rhetorical triangle. It's about teaching, not journalism, but the film just gave me more motivation to use technology. And not just for journalism. I'm ready to try blogging for book discussions in my other classes by having students complete a set number of blogs and comments like we did during the Reynolds Institute. Have any of you English-teacher-types tried that? How did it work for you?

I'm trying not to lose what I learned in Phoenix this week while we are focused on AP, and I'm hoping that thinking in terms of how it can fit with my journalism classes will help. But I'm finding that what I learned in Phoenix is starting to fit in what I teach in regular English classes even better. It's really quite useful how we can fit it all together. I know that ASNE is trying to help us with high school publications, and there is no doubt that the Reynolds Institute does this. I hope ASNE and those who are involved with the institutes know how much this can help us teach, period.

Lynne Schneider
Murrah High School
Jackson, Miss.

7 comments:

  1. Lynne, if I could construct the assignment, which I am thinking of doing also, I would limit the number of posts and require more comments on others' posts so that I knew the students were engaged with one another on the blog as well as with me.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynne, i feel so bad for you. Reynolds was so authentic and motivating; that schooltube video seems so manipulated and depressing.

    Rick Burd
    Wickenburg HS
    Wickenburg, Ariz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Rick. Did you notice not one of these children were smiling? Very depressing and if its aim was to persuade, it sure didn't!
    Mark Webber
    Laredo, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. nteresting...I didn't much of a negative reaction to this video at all, and it seems to make a valid point. It gives an idea how our students might feel sometimes, and makes the case that unengaged students probably don't have much to smile about at school. We watched it in the AP Lang. and Comp. workshop because we talked about rhetoric and the rhetorical triange (speaker, audience, subject). We also looked at several advertisements and how they use the three appeals --logos, pathos ethos.

    Now it is manipulative, but that was why we watched it. It definitely puts rhetoric to use effectively. My one negative thought was that technology alone can't do the job of educating kids,and using technology all the time doesn't necessarily make a good teacher. The ad conveniently ignores that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BTW, the AP Institute is good and it is giving me some good information, but it is not a motivating or as fun. I think there may be a danger of comparing every workshop for the next several yaers to the Reynolds Institute, and having them all come up very, very short.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is the truth. I have had two workshops since, and nothing compares.

    Great video. I am going to share it with my faculty.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete