Friday, July 17, 2009

Testing? And Walter Cronkite's death

I heard the news about the death of Walter Cronkite and came to the blog to see what others were saying and put in my own 2 cents. I got a message that the blog was blocked. Did anyone else have that issue? I'm posting to see if this is blocked. If it goes through, let me say I was saddened to hear this news, but of course we were aware he was not doing well even during the Institute. With the Michael Jackson media circus, I am interested to see how this will be covered. So far, it seems very dignified and respectful, certainly as it should be for the death of an icon who was for a long time the most trusted face (and voice) in America.

Lynne Schneider
Jackson, Miss.

2 comments:

  1. I got the same message, Lynne. I ignored it. Ironically, today I felt I should wear the Walter Cronkte school t-shirt some of us bought after the closing luncheon. I have it on now.
    Mark Webber
    Laredo, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogger sent me a note this AM saying the blog had been flagged as a possible spam site and frozen pending a review. That's been fixed.

    Sad evening around here, as you might expect. For a national icon, Cronkite was supremely down to earth and approachable. When I had a chance to meet him in my AP career and as a faculty member who'd worked for AP, he'd remind me pointedly that he worked for UPI, AP's rival in the days of intense competition. Then we'd share stories about the joys and headaches of working for the wire service. I always got the impression that his days as a newspaper and wire service reporter were his fondest, despite all that he accomplished on the air.

    Steve Elliott
    Arizona State University
    Phoenix

    ReplyDelete