Tuesday, June 23, 2009

867-5309 has nothing on this number

While 703-807-1904 is not as catchy as 867-5309, it is a number all participants of the Reynolds High School Journalism Institute in Phoenix should know.

The number belongs to the Student Press Law Center in Arlington, Virg. This organization is non-profit, and caters to high school and college journalists of all kinds. Mike Hiestand, shown in photo discussing the Hazelwood Supreme Court case to a group of 35 journalism teachers, is a former attorney with the SPLC. Student journalists are protected by the First Amendment, and have many options if they feel their rights are being violated.

The Student Press Law Center is available during normal business hours and takes phone calls from advisers and students who either have a question about a particular topic, or feel that their rights are being violated. The Web site splc.org is another resource for teachers and students, and is available at all hours.

Jeff Fencl
Del Norte High School
Albuquerque, N.M.

2 comments:

  1. I found the Press Law presentation to be one of the most helpful thus far in our program. While I have not personally encountered any censorship issues at my high school, I feel the best thing any adviser can do is to be prepared for any situation. Having the Student Press Law Center is a resource that I should have been aware of earlier, but better late than never! As we've heard so many times today, it's better to prepare ourselves now instead of waiting for things to blow up.

    Sharon Nolan
    North Canyon H.S.
    Phoenix, Ariz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the SPLC during a very difficult situation where I was actually suspended without pay by my principal. They worked with my editor in chief and me to realize that we should print the article my principal told me not to print, and then when I was suspended for insubordination and had the newspaper class taken away from me, they helped me fight the punishment and get my class back.
    Jeff Fencl
    Del Norte High School
    Albuquerque, N.M.

    ReplyDelete