Tuesday, June 23, 2009

You've gotta fight for THEIR rights!

Debbie Aughey and Joanne Greer play the role of a tough principal and a newspaper adviser discussing a controversial story. 

Tuesday was all about the rights and responsibilities of student journalists at the Reynolds Institute. This is part of advising a newspaper that gives me and many other advisers gray hair! In theory, student journalists at a public high school have First Amendment protection. In reality, there are many factors that can come into play when it comes to what a student newspaper can print. Advisers often feel like they are caught between the rights of students and the interests of the school (meaning the principal). 
 
Mike Hiestand, an attorney who worked with the Student Press Law Center for many years and continues to consult on scholastic press freedom issues, compelled me to really take a long look at how I've been a bit wishy-washy when it comes to this particular issue. And I made some decisions about the absolutes of a free press that I'm going to stand on from now on. 

It's really easy to talk about what the principal should or should not do when it comes to our newspapers.  It's hard to admit that my students often self censor to avoid controversial topics because of prior review, and I'm not doing anything about it. Instead of accepting prior review and censorship as just the way things are, I want to build a case for stopping these practices at my school. 

Today, I got some very good ideas for building that case. For example, Hiestand mentioned contract law and school mission statements and policies. I found that my district's code of conduct clearly preserves the free speech rights of students in speech AND in writing. I also heard from him that, since every paper we print and every  other expense we incur is funded through student ad sales and fundraising, we may have a stronger case for more press freedom. 

"If you aren't going to call them on it, they're going to keep doing it," Hiestand said. It's really about time I called my principal on prior review. 

Thankfully, Kristen Gilger, assistant dean at The Cronkite School, gave the advisers very practical advice on how to work within our systems, and with our bosses, to fight the battles we will all face when it comes to the First Amendment in our schools. I'll prepare very carefully, using her tips, to prepare for the difficult conversation I'm definitely going to have with my boss shortly after I get home from the Reynolds Institute. 

It's a scary thing to take on the person who "signs your paycheck." But when it comes to giving our students every opportunity to experience the importance of a free press, it's worth it. 

Lynne Schneider
Murrah High School
Jackson, Miss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment