Thursday, June 25, 2009

Learning on the light rail


I am a naturally inquisitive person (some people might/do say I'm just nose-y), and this has contributed to some interesting moments on the light rail this past week.

For 11 days, our highly accredited instructors have been telling us that the idea and planning end is where the emphasis needs to be when reporting. So maybe that's my excuse for approaching strangers on the light rail and striking up conversations.

I met a very nice young man last night while waiting for the train. He was dressed in slacks and a shirt, all pressed and neat, and he was very forthcoming. I found out he works security at the airport and will be a senior this fall at a charter school. I asked him questions about what he liked about his school and we had a great discussion. We talked for 10 minutes before our ride came, and then, to my surprise, he took a seat next to me on the train, and we talked until I exited.

I am not writing a story about him or anything, but it reinforced that we have opportunities to connect, to learn, to apply knowledge every day, everywhere. We need to help our students understand this, and perhaps get them to put their cell phones down for a minute when they are looking for story ideas and angles.

Stories are everywhere.

Teresa Gallegos
Blackfoot High School
Blackfoot, Idaho

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely true about our reluctance to approach those with whom we are unfamilar. This is an area in which we need to support our students. They are reluctant to not only talk to other students who they do not know but also to address adults for advertising with whom they are not introduce.
    I have worked with them on meeting and establishing an atmosphere of comfort and responsiveness but it seems to be really unfamilar territory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took the light rail from the airport and I found the locals to be very helpful and friendly. I must have appeared to be confused, because people offered help before I asked. Maybe the map in one hand and the suitcase in the other gave me away. But I was confused.

    ReplyDelete