Thursday, June 25, 2009

What is good?


Michael Roberts (pictured right) of The Arizona Republic used great examples to define what is good. He emphasized SMART standards.
  • Specific
  • Measurable
  • Action-oriented
  • Realistic
  • Time-dated
He applied these standards to short video clips and slide shows. He showed two videos and explained why he considered them to be good. This included close and candid shots and capturing subjects in their natural setting. One video shot in a prison did not show the subjects in a natural setting, but the setting was appropriate for the storyline.

Roberts applied the same standards to slide shows. He said the biggest problem people have in putting a story together is in planning. He suggested story mapping and using 5 steps of writing news.
  • Idea
  • Reporting
  • Organization
  • Draft
  • Revision
I'll use all his ideas in the classroom.

Mark Salvatore
Saint Joseph Academy
Brownsville, TX

3 comments:

  1. I must admit, throughout the Institute, I have asked, "How will I know good student writing when I see it." And just like that, ASNE provided Mr. Roberts to address such an issue. He gave great examples and anecdotes that I can take back to my class and use throughout the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this presentation. He comes from the mind-set of a teacher and he presented in a way that was thorough and that I could easily follow. He began with his essential idea, he broke it down into sections, and he remembered to be measurable and totally objective. He is also very accessible. I wonder if there's some way to merge pedagogy and journalism?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too thought that Roberts did a great job in bringing out the writing aspect of journalism. Anyone can take down notes from an interview, but once students understand that just like in English class, there is also a writing process for articles- the art of composing articles will be much simpler.

    Ariawna Talton
    Molina High School
    Dallas, TX

    ReplyDelete