Friday, June 26, 2009

Final thoughts

Thursday afternoon, as I finally finished my institute story, Denice Westover asked me what I had learned in my two weeks here. I stumbled over a response as a wave of information and panic came over me. Frankly, these two weeks have been overwhelming! I learned typography terms that I never even knew existed. I learned how to write an effective lede. I learned what it means to “write on deadline.” I have learned so much that I don’t think my brain has had time to catalog everything!

That’s when I realized that the key is to set SMART goals. Specific. Measurable. Attainable. Realistic. Timely.

There is no possible way for me to turn around my journalism program in just one year, nor should I try. The key is to choose a few key ideas to implement. If I can successfully achieve a few goals each year, I believe I can build the journalism program I have always dreamed of within 5 years (OK, that’s probably a tab ambitious =). Luckily, I still have seven weeks to decide on my goals for this year. No matter the goal, I just have to make sure they’re smart. Thank you, ASNE, for giving me the tools necessary to begin this process.

Sharon Nolan
North Canyon H.S.
Phoenix, Ariz.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Sharon. You have expressed my own sentiments. I, too, feel overwhelmed by the information I absorbed over the past two weeks.

    I want to be as good as Alan is---NOW!I need to be patient with myself and focus on just one or two things that will make the most difference.

    I will not be as good this year as I would like to be. But, thanks to this amazing institute, I will be so much better than I was last year.

    Rick Burd
    Wickeburg High School
    Wickenburg, Ariz

    ReplyDelete