Friday, June 26, 2009

Fellows go out into the real world

Throughout the past two weeks the 35 of us have spent the majority of our days thinking journalism.  I think tomorrow when we're back in "the real world" I will go through institute withdraw.  

The most valuable lessons that I have learned came from producing the institute publication.  I learned what it was like being a student on a deadline, and how this is completely different from the feeling that comes from being an adviser on a deadline.  I learned about that feeling of agonizing over a lead that just doesn't seem to get better, as well as settling for good enough in the minutes before deadline.  Most importantly, I learned about the friendships that are made with a shared feeling of stress and a common goal.  

Ashley Barnes
Bel Air High School
Bel Air, Md.

1 comment:

  1. Withdrawal INDEED! I have been wandering around the house today looking for things to keep me busy and wondering when I will be able to give a writing assignment to my students. . . who don't come back to school until late August.

    It may be time to actually look into the whole social networking thing we talked about earlier in the week - but I really can't see myself as being a tweeter....

    Jeff Jones
    Miyamura High School
    Gallup, NM

    ReplyDelete