Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Schwalbe was totally tweetalicious!

The Institute continue to bring us amazing professionals. The latest was ASU's Carol Schwalbe speaking on social media.

I have decided if Twitter is properly approached, it is not a waste of resources and I may try it.

I was especially interested in the way I can incorporate blogs into my teaching. I see it as a way to infiltrate the students' world and perhaps get them to use blogging for education instead of vanity.

Is it possible that through making blogging an assignment and grading a portion of the blogs on conventions, I could begin combating the ridiculous text spellings that creep into student work when any kind of keypad is involved?

But I dream.

3 comments:

  1. I think that the only hindrance there is in using to using blogs and twitter in class rooms are the security measures that govern my computer systems. However, I think that I am prepared to make a very persuasive argument for having the limitations lifted on my computers. I think that the only problem I am going to have is the worries that our computer administrators have about proxies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, I think Twitter could be creatively used in the classroom to direct students towards resources. I suppose the challenge is to make sure I am 100% comfortable with the site and its various nuances. Last thing I need is inappropriate student comments.

    Eric Gutierrez
    Whitney High School
    Cerritos, CA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand how some of the Fellows use Twitter in educational ways. I just have a hard time not feeling like the guy in the cartoon clip she showed, i.e. Twitter is a bunch of mindless, self-involved, blather. If you are willing to sift through 300 people's bite-sized thoughts, I'm sure there's a pearl in there. I'm just not convinced I want to sift.

    And yet the tech adventurous side of me kind of wants to give it a try. . .

    Juli Stricklan
    Rigby High School
    Rigby, Idaho

    ReplyDelete