Thursday, June 25, 2009

Starting a web site


Possibly the best advice Dave Cornelius (pictured right) gave that I will apply it to have the school website off campus. That is, on a server that is not the school's. That will allow a lot more flexibility for me at a private school, especially since everything that the journalism students write gets reviewed and accepted or rejected by the principal and one of the assistant principals.

Dave also said we should create a style sheet for the website.

I look forward to doing more things involving technology. A website seems to be a good way to go. As Dave pointed out, a web site has permanency, interactivity, and should be simple to for the user to navigate.

I'm sure my students will enjoy working with video,text, slide shows and other graphics.

All I need is some equipment.

Mark Salvatore
Saint Joseph Academy
Brownsville, texas

3 comments:

  1. Dave is a very interesting speaker and presents a new light on how to deliver the news. I rather enjoyed his approach and added-value he gave in terms of layout, content and slide shows. I agree that my students will also benefit from this information.

    Eric Gutierrez
    Whitney High School
    Cerritos, CA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am very excited about sharing many of the media skills that we've learned with our students, but am in the same boat as far as needing equipment! We need cameras and new software to start...however, I think I'm going to start small. Since we already have a website through my.hsj.org, we'll begin with slide shows and more frequent updates. And as for FREE resources, I love the idea of using google docs for submitting and editing stories.

    Andrea Krueger
    Centennial High School
    Circle Pines, Minnesota

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit that when I first came to this institute, I was only concerned with how to make my paper more newsworthy. The idea of going online was nowhere on my horizon. After Dave's session, and everything else I've learned from speakers and other fellows, I believe that going online IS a possibility. It really doesn't seem that hard to get a website up and running.

    Sharon Nolan
    North Canyon H.S.
    Phoenix, Ariz.

    ReplyDelete