Thursday, June 25, 2009

Absolutely agnostic = democratization of journalism

(At left- Jason Manning reflects the digital divide)

Jason Manning, ASU’s director of student media, seamlessly balances the art of storytelling and the craft of teaching. Using the best teaching techniques designed to keep our interest, he had us read and discuss compelling quotes and watch and interact with multimedia clips. No one in the room will forget “Googlezon” from Epic or the panoramic photo from the Chandra Levy crime scene from his work with the Washington Post.

I learned that I am a sideways driver that contributes to 66 percent of the traffic to the washingtonpost.com site as I point and click on a couple stories per day originating from their staff. I wonder how many people are driven to our site and for what reason.

When he asked if data was journalism, I think it depends of the era of journalism. One hundred years ago, journalists filtered data for their readership, which was comprised mostly of literate white males. The audience, purpose and tone were a given. With today’s transparency and availability, professional journalists have to mine unbelievable amounts of data and present it to a diverse audience so that it doesn’t skew towards a certain bias. This is quite an undertaking.

Manning urged us to teach media literacy. I have been thinking of renaming my course just that since it encompasses all the publishable platforms. His basic skills can be easily integrated into my program.
• Basics of shooting and recording video
• Audio and video editing
• On-camera story synopsis (4 bullet summary)
• HTML and data skills

Debbie Aughey
The Spartan Chronicles
Campbell High School
Smyrna, GA
dlaughey on Twitter

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Manning's presentation. I also plan to teach media literacy. I'm going to take steps to acquire some equipment for the school so I can help students to produce something on mulitple (or at least more than one) platform.
    Mark Salvatore
    SJA
    Brownsville, TX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved hearing about the election and diversity in the newrooms and the different kinds of diversity. How about that Chandra Levy post with the panaromic view? Think of doing a game of yours like that and show all the fans in the stands. Or in a classroom. Pep rally. Cafeteria. I will be thinking about that for a long time. Especially if I can figure out how to tie it to a text with some kind of broad, worth-it story.

    Joanna Greer
    John F. Kennedy High School
    Silver Spring, Md

    ReplyDelete