Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Vignette viewing

Tuesday night, the fellows of the Reynolds institute were treated to 12 multimedia vignettes produced by their classmates. These packages consisted of a video, story, and two photos. The project was a culmination of a week of training and hard work (ie. blood, sweat, and tears). For many of us with little to no journalism experience and who had never heard of Final Cut Pro, we found ourselves frustrated and short on time.

However, after watching all of the videos last night, I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with all of my classmates. Each group managed to find a way to not only address the topic, living with the heat, but also infused character and personality into their stories.

Sure, some of us had microphone problems and others still had choppy jumps between frames. But in the end, we all learned a tremendous amount from this process and we all had fun.

When I return to my classroom, I plan on pulling up this blog and showing my students these packages. Hopefully it will not only show them what I learned during my two weeks here, but also serve as a model and inspire them to venture out and try something new.

Sharon Nolan
North Canyon H.S.
Phoenix, Ariz.

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely think showing these vignettes to our students will allows them to view the multimedia model in a new light. I want to give them this assignment as well. It's so interesting to watch as we take one topic and turn out these incredibly different end results. It shows just how different our views can be, and it would make a great lesson on voice and opinion. I'm excited to show my students all of these and then ask them to create their own. I just have to get the equipment for it.

    Like everything else, it was a learning experience. I'm glad we had sounds problems and choppy jumps because now I know how to avoid those in the future. I just hope our students get as much out of it as we did.

    Rebecca Jackson
    Douglas County High School
    Douglasville, Ga.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last night was fun, I agree with all your comments. This will definetly serve us as something we will be able to bring back to the classroom, and will immediately become the new favorite teacher on campus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed everybody's creativity, too. It's amazing what a bunch of strangers can accomplish when they put their heads together and have a deadline. Imagine what our kids can do!
    Lynn Wolf Dulcie
    Rock Hill High School
    Rock Hill, SC

    ReplyDelete