Thursday, June 25, 2009

Playing God

Roseburg High School in Roseburg, Ore. Although remodels have demolished my old journalism room, my passion for journalism and for writing was built there, working on both the newspaper and yearbook staffs.


Jason Manning attributed his desire for a journalism career to his own, high school journalism teacher. Many of the other media professionals that have met with us over the course of the last two weeks also cite their high school teachers as a determining factor in the career paths. I know that for me, personally, it was my experiences in my yearbook and newspaper courses that pushed me to pursue a degree in journalism at San Diego State University. 

When I think back to my experiences in high school, I don't remember any phenomenal journalism lessons that my journalism adviser, Mrs. Bartlett, taught us. I don't remember the pressing news issues we reported on. What I do remember is the family that I built in the Orange R (that was our paper's name) room after school and during production week. I had a home there; it was a place where I belonged. I don't know how many other people from Mrs. Bartlett's staffs over the years went on to pursue journalism careers (I can only think of one or two others besides myself, and I'm not sure I really count)... But I know that there are a whole mess of us that look back and earmark the Orange R as a defining, learning and community building experience. 

This makes me wonder what kind of impact I have on kids. Everyone says that teachers have this amazing opportunity to connect with and shape kids. I have never really considered myself to have that kind of power. Sure, there are kids that spend more time in my classroom than they do in their own rooms at home, but I guess I never really thought it was because of me. Manning's comments, along with those of the other industry professionals, made me realize that I really do have a lot of influence over my students.

To me, this is both... empowering... and terrifying. I like the idea that I can teach them things, I can help them fall in love with something that I love. I like the idea that I can provide them with their niche on campus, something to look forward to. But, and this is also what terrifies me about parenthood, what if I screw them up? What if I make them dumber? What if they end up hating journalism and writing and it is all my fault and because of me we lose a great writer? Maybe that's an extreme, but as Juli pointed out to me earlier this week, I'm a bit of a worrier. 

The best that I can do is keep in mind the potential that I have. If that is always running somewhere, in the back of my mind, I think that will prevent me from dropping the F bomb in front of my kids, or from committing waves of unprofessionalism in their presence. 

Jessica Young
Orange Glen High School
Escondido, Calif.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like something almost any adviser could say, so don't fee like you are alone. I know I identify with being awed and fearful about the potential impact we have on our students. The newspaper staff, unlike other students, is with us three-four years in many cases, and we spend weekends and evenings with them. But I have a feeling your students will definitely learn a lot from you and I have no doubt your influence will be positive.

    Lynne Schneider
    Murrah High School
    Jackson, Miss.

    ReplyDelete