Saturday, June 6, 2009

Looking back on year one

Good Morning everyone,

My girlfriend and I have just returned from a week in Florida where I snorkeled a coral reef and had a protracted airboat ride. During our vacation I had time to reflect on completing my first year of teaching, what was accomplsihed and what I hope to tackle next year.

I have always been one that loves learning. It does not matter what it is so much the process seems more important to me. Of course, I have my interests but I love it all. That is why I felt blessed to work on film and video crews that covered fascinating stories. After a number of years sound became second nature and I could focus on the material to a greater degree. This made me a better writer and director when I started producing my own work.

So, with the ASNE program right around the corner I am looking forward to the work and meeting everyone. All of you have such diverse background.

I hvae been fleshing out ideas for the June 10th assignment and am thinking about what interests me.

Until next week.


Mark Silverstein
Douglas High School

6 comments:

  1. Mark, I hope you'll enjoy a chile relleno at the Grand Cafe for me. I loved visiting Douglas, The Daily Dispatch and the Gadsden Hotel when I was AP bureau chief for Arizona. Good idea putting your name and school in the post. I'm going to suggest that when we get started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,

    As I said erlier I am fleshing out some of my ideas for the June 10th assignment. Here is what I am working with at this time:

    1. The ongoing reprisal killings of Mexican journalists who report on drugs, corruption or both.

    2. Public relations firms and their use of peridicals, newspaers and new technologies to promote their client without spending advertising dollars.

    3. The downside of too much technology in news reporting and distribution.

    Mark Silverstein
    Douglas High School

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the spelling error. I was typing too fast and not thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks. I'll respond by e-mail. For all, it's easiest for me if you submit ideas by e-mail. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mark - I, too, share a love of learning. As I finally get my house cleaned up (for the first time since LAST summer), I have to wonder why I signed up to be away from my responsibilities for two whole weeks of summer vacation. I have soooo much to do around the house that gets ignored during the hectic, hectic school year. But, then, I read a statement like yours, and I say, "Oh yeah, because I LOVE it!" I am always looking for new and better ways to do...whatever, and I think this institute will help with a a whole lot of new and better ways to do things. Looking forward to meeting you in Arizona.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, am looking for a new and better way to do things -- if we keep doing that, we'll stave off aging, right? Kidding. Can't wait to pick everbody's brains about what's working with their kids, Lynn

    ReplyDelete