Friday, June 5, 2009

Multimedia assignment test run


Multimedia package by Group Member One, Group Member Two and Group Member Three

Greetings. I'm practicing posting a video and photos to the institute Web site in anticipation of your group multimedia assignments. The video has some info about the school and a friendly voice from someone who's working hard to make sure you have an enjoyable time here. I compared the Blogger player to embedding the video from YouTube, and YouTube is the way to go. Sorry about the hiss. Bad microphone work by moi.

Now I'm playing with photos. Blogger doesn't seem very flexible when it comes to photos. The easiest way to include multiple photos in a presentation that features video seems to be finishing the text and centering the photos at the bottom, with captions below, as shown here. You can do more with HTML tweaks, but there's no need to bother with that.

By the way, since the title of your multimedia assignment is "Living With the Heat" I should note that it has been blissfully mild -- that is, under 100 -- for the past few days. The current forecast calls for 102 when you arrive, which locals, Alan Weintraut and past participants can tell you ain't bad.

And let's end the text portion of multimedia project posts with - 30 - in tribute to the days of typewriters and lead type.

- 30 -

The Cronkite School (right) is across the street from the new Taylor Place dormitory, site of most of the institute's meals. (Photo by Deanna Dent)

On the other side of the school is Downtown Civic Space Park, which features a huge hanging fabric sculpture called "Her Secret is Patience." (Photo by Michelle Price)

6 comments:

  1. I think I can embed the video. I've been having problems with the pictures (sizing? placement?) so it's good to have a tip to help. Also, the "story ends here" placeholder is a good idea I stole immediately. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My best suggestion on photo sizing: Try the large, medium, small options in Blogger until something looks good. Another suggestion, which we'll discuss in the Photoshop sessions: Put your photos at Web resolution (72 dpi) before uploading to a Web site or Blogger. Otherwise they are huge and tough for Blogger to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,

    I noticed that about half of the blog follower photos are not displaying on my screen. I have edited my personal profile photo down to 1"x1" @ 72 dpi in Photoshop and it still won't display. Any ideas why this is happening?
    -30-

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't, Trampus. Sorry. If you or anyone else cracks it, please let the group know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steve - How did you get the captions under your pictures? I looked for an option when I posted my surfing dog photo, but didn't see one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very low-tech way: I just put the photos at the bottom and put text under them, changing the color. I know of no way to put captions under photos that like your doggie shot appear within text other than using Photoshop or some other utility to add that to the picture itself, and that isn't worth the time.

    ReplyDelete