Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Out of my league

I am both excited and nervous as I look ahead to the Reynolds Institute. When I sent in my application several months ago, the likelihood of my attending seemed rather remote.

I was in the middle of my first year of teaching journalism, and in my fifth year of teaching high school. I do not have an English/literature background. I was in sales and retail management for 28 years. I was a philosophy major as undergrad, and then business admin in grad.

I am certified in CTE and with my background, of course, I was teaching Marketing and School Store (DECA). But, then the admin asked me if I would teach Career & Tech, and I said "yes." Then they asked me if I would teach algebra, and I said "yes." Then they asked me if I would teach health education, and, again, I said "yes." And then, right after the admin presented me with 'The Gumby Award' (for being the most flexible teacher on staff), they asked me if I would teach journalism. That was in May, 2008. What could I say? It would have been totally out of 'Gumby' character to decline. And the rest is...still in process.

What a year it has been at Wickenburg High School! I had no curriculum, no text books, no syllabus, no clue. Since this was a brand new course, I wasn't even sure what department I was working under. It turns out, the journalism class was, more or less, an island. I discovered that nobody on campus really wanted to lay claim to this property.

However, with the talent, patience and hard work of several marvelous students, we got through the year. We were able to publish three 8-page, color tabloid newspapers. We learned a lot about the writing process, took lots of pictures, interviewed lots of people, ate lots of doughnuts, drank lots of coffee, and had way more than our share of frustration and fun.

What do I hope to get from the Reynolds Institute? I think I would say that I want to get the confidence that can only come from knowledge that I am teaching journalistic methods and ideals that are practiced and preached by experts in the field. Having read the bios of our host, speakers, presenters and attendees, I am confident that this experience will be positively memorable.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rick - It's so satisfying to read blogs like yours that make me feel as if I am not alone. Although I just completed my fourth year teaching journalism, I can remember the steep learning curve of my first year. What really drew me to your posting was the Gumby factor. I, too, am the school's Gumby. Originally hired to teach senior English, I feel as if I have taught everything else to boot. Other posters have talked about their journalism classes being dumping grounds; sometimes, I think I am the dumping ground for CLASSES that no one else wants or that don't fit into anyone else's schedule. Add a little cup of Yoda in the mix, e.g., "Oh, Kye, but you MUST serve on this committee. We really need your expertise!" and it makes for a very stressful stew. When I complained to a teacher friend she advised me that the more you show them you are capable of handling, the more they'll keep shoveling stuff on your plate. I hope we both gain the expertise to help streamline our journalism programs before our cups runneth too much over.

    ReplyDelete